Friday, December 26, 2008

Trying Something New

I'm trying something new here... a new place to put stuff as I begin to ponder things. New year, new fun? I've decided that change is in order, and since I can't move, I'll make changes elsewhere in my life. I've already started with some of them, like saving $$, eating stuff I made at home more, being more active, etc. I think the two biggest hurdles will be my tendency to be lazy and just not care. I think that's part of the issue with how kids are raised... we grow up, and as reward for doing well we get good grades, maybe some extra cash from our parents, or a 'yay!' ... then we hit the 'real world', move out on our own, and there's no reward system. It's just gone. So then do we put in place a reward system of our own? Make a 'star chart' to put on the wall and reward ourselves with something when we get to the goal? The idea does have some sort of merit though... it makes charting our progress more fun than work. We work enough at work, do we really need to make more for ourselves once we get home?

I've been adding and subtracting from my life a lot lately. Subtracting people, adding people, subtracting activities, and adding other activities. Sent an email in to a local gal who teaches community minister classes. It'd be a nice addition to things. I'm already ordained but it was one of those fun online things that cost nothing and need no classes to get. I'd like it to be something with a little more behind it. It'd make me feel better. Also working on picking the right people to be around me. I've been told before that I can be overly nice at times when I should be standing up for myself and walking away. I'm a 'helper' and sometimes it's tough to put myself in a place that's safe for my well being, while still helping folks out.

So where does this put me? Where do I go now? Who knows.

It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.

~Alan Cohen

1 comment:

  1. It's about learning to be comfortable with discomfort... you can do it - you have a lot to share, and there's always room for growth.

    ReplyDelete